Observe is building an Observability Cloud that allows customers to bring all their machine data (logs, metrics, traces, etc.) together in one place. At the core of the service is our data management platform which enables our users to build sophisticated streaming pipelines and express complex temporal queries all without learning complex database concepts. The platform is built on top of a cloud data warehouse platform (Snowflake).
A very important piece of the data platform is our query optimizer, which turns queries written in our proprietary query language OPAL into optimal SQL statements to be executed efficiently in the data warehouse. As a query optimization engineer, your job is to exploit the algebraic structure of a query and rewrite the query's execution plan (expressed in multiple layers of intermediate representation) into its optimal form, and then make sure we can produce the most succinct SQL statements from the plan. You will also work closely with the boarder language team to define new language features, understand performance implication, and use your domain knowledge to help shape the product.
The ideal candidate should be:
- Experience with relational database internals
- Experience with query optimization & rewrites for performance
- Experience with data streaming is a plus but not required
- Experience with Go is a plus but not required
- Self-motivated, fearless, likes to dive in the code and get shit done
- Strong teamplayer who can work independently but cares about context and knows when to reach out